In case you missed our Monday lasagna post (or if you just ran out of leftovers), here’s another healthy twist on the family favorite, using beans instead of meat to help cut back on the calories.
2 onions, peeled and chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
Two 15-oz. cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
One 4-oz. can green chilies
Two 15-oz. cans chili-style or fire-roasted tomatoes (use no-salt-added tomatoes if you’re on a sodium-restricted diet)
1-2 Tbsp. chili powder (or to taste)
1 Tbsp. cumin (or to taste)
8 corn tortillas
2 cups low-fat, shredded Mexican-style cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large frying pan, sauté the onions and garlic for a few minutes in the olive oil. Add the beans, chilies, tomatoes, chili powder and cumin. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spread one-third of the bean mixture in a 9×13-inch baking dish. Top with four of the tortillas and 1 cup of the cheese.
- Add another layer, starting with half of the remaning bean mixture, then the four remaining tortillas and 1 cup of cheese.
- Finish with the last of the bean mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake about 35 minutes.
Real Simple, May 2015