Hill-Rom The Vest Airway Clearance System
Behind the Mystery: Rare and Genetic Diseases – Dr. Christopher Landon, MD Internal Medicine and advocate of Hill-Rom, a leading provider of medical technologies discusses solutions for living with Cystic Fibrosis and Neuromuscular Disease.
Home airway clearance
Solutions for living with Cystic Fibrosis
Did you know that 1 out of 10 Americans are diagnosed with a rare & genetic disease? Odds are it can affect you, a loved one, neighbor or friend.
The shocking truth about Rare and Genetic diseases….
• Affects 1 in 10 Americans and 350 million people worldwide
• There are more people affected by rare diseases than AIDS and Cancer combined
• Out of the 7,000 rare diseases only 400 have treatments
• Approximately 80% of rare diseases have identified genetic origins
• 50% of people suffering from rare diseases are children
A disease is defined as rare in the USA when it affects fewer than 200,000 Americans at any given time. This includes conditions like Cystic Fibrosis and Neuromuscular Disease. Both of these diseases are passed down through families:
• Cystic Fibrosis – causes thick sticky mucus to build up in the lungs, digestive tract and other areas of the body and is the most common chronic lung diseases in children
• Neuromuscular disorders – affect the nerves that control your voluntary muscles (i.e. in arms
Patients suffering from either of these conditions will require assistance with certain basic body functions, like breathing and coughing – they’ll need airway clearance for lung expansion and mobilization of retained secretions, and this requires assistance.
There are new medical technologies for patients in need of regular airway clearance therapy:
The MetaNeb® System by Hill-Rom – The MetaNeb® System is indicated for the mobilization of secretions,lung expansion therapy, the treatment and prevention of pulmonary atelectasis, and also has the ability to provide supplemental oxygen when used with compressed oxygen. Available for Acute Care.
Therapeutic device that provides Medicated Aerosol combined with continuous positive pressure to assist in holding open and expanding the airways, enhancing normal mucus clearance – available for acute care
The Vest® System by Hill-Rom – The Vest® Airway Clearance System is designed to assist patients in the mobilization of retained secretions that, if not removed, may contribute to increased rates of respiratory infection, hospitalization and reduced lung function. Available for home care and acute care.
To learn more about Cystic Fibrosis and Neuromuscular Disease, please tune in to The Balancing Act® on April 17 or 24th at 7:00 am (ET/PT) on Lifetime Television as Dr. Chris Landon, M.D. Internal Medicine and advocate of Hill-Rom, a provider of medical technologies, joins the show.