Feeding the whole family is no small feat, especially when you take cost into account. Try the recipe below for a delicious and economical dinner solution! Check your pantry for the necessary ingredients before going shopping.
Chicken & Rice with Mushrooms
Price per Serving:
Dried porcini mushrooms
Skinless, boneless chicken thighs
Brown basmati rice
Frozen green peas
- Combine 2 cups boiling water and porcini mushrooms. Let stand for 20 minutes.Drain through a sieve over a bowl, reserving liquid.
- Finely chop mushrooms.
- Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tbsp. olive oil to pan and swirl to coat.
- Sprinkle chicken evenly with paprika, ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper.
- Add chicken mixture to pan and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until chicken is browned. Remove from pan.
- Return pan to medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tsp olive oil to pan and swirl to coat.
- Add onion and cremini mushrooms, sprinkle with remaining ¼ tsp salt and remaining ¼ tsp pepper.
- Sauté 4 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in reserved porcini liquid, chopped porcini and rice. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Let simmer for 35 minutes.
- Stir in the reserved chicken, peas and thyme.
- Cover and cook 10 minutes or until rice is tender and chicken is done.