Spoiler alert: This cake is actually just muffin batter baked into cake form. But that doesn’t mean it’s any less delicious! Pick a morning you feel like having dessert for breakfast and serve it warm, preferably in bed.
Blueberry Muffin Cake
4 oz. (½ cup) unsalted butter, melted and
slightly cooled; more for the pan
9 oz. (2 cups) unbleached, all-purpose flour
1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
½ cup whole milk
2 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
¾ lb. (2 cups) fresh blueberries
Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°F.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch, round spring-form pan.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk the butter, milk, eggs and vanilla together. Using a silicone spatula, stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until incorporated. Fold in the berries.
- Scrape the batter into the pan, spreading it evenly. Tap the pan on the counter once or twice to break any air bubbles.
- Bake until golden brown and a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 45-55 minutes (if the top gets too brown, tent with aluminum foil).
- Let cool on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes. Run a paring knife around the edge of the cake and remove the side of the pan. Transfer the cake to a serving plate and serve warm, with confectioners’ sugar sifted over the top, if desired.